2020/11/26

Songbird (Marramarra Lodge)

Good morning my dedicated reader and welcome to my 300th blog post (sorry no pictures). That is a lot of holidaying. Fear not. I am focussed on bringing you many more. Indeed, there are plans afoot for 2021 already commencing with South Australia in January. Specifically, Adelaide, the Adelaide Hills and the Barossa Valley.

I'm here to report that our last night wasn't totally without incident. The birds began early in the morning. The Koel bird continued his mournful complaints about lack of sex, but was joined by a White-bellied Sea Eagle, numerous kookaburras and other local feathered fiends. I have no idea what was annoying the Eagle but he was very vocal for a very long time.

It was a pleasant morning and we again had breakfast on the pool deck stopping to chat with other guests about the bird 'song'. It turns out that Rick and Cathy operate their own luxury accommodation in Riverland South Australia. Check it out, it looks amazing. The Frames. Broken Hill was on my travel itinerary next year and The Frames might be just the place to rest up on the way home. On second thought, The Frames is a destination in itself. Stay tuned.

Obviously the birds inspired today's title and there were many choices available. I opted for Songbird by Fleetwood Mac from their 1977 album Rumours, a classic from start to finish. Mind you, I'm not sure the cacophony of noise that wrested me from my sleep could be considered bird song.

And so our time at Marramarra comes to an end. It wasn't quite what I expected but the weather curtailed our plans to get out on the river in kayaks. We spent the morning soaking up time until our departure; breakfast on the pool deck, time in the lodge on the computer checking out The Frames and chatting with other guests.

Marramarra bills itself as a luxury retreat and on the surface it ticks all the boxes. Jayne likened it to an adolescent, he/she knows what required to be an adult but isn't quite there. It lacked finesse. At Jonah's you were finessed without knowing you were being finessed. At times here it seemed all too obvious, the enquiries about whether we had enjoyed the meals were there, but ... did they really care? Probably not and they need to make the guests feel like they really do care, even if they don't.

Would I return? No. Been there, done that, but I'm glad I did it. If nothing else it was very relaxing and I discovered another place to holiday, hopefully sometime in 2021.

We are back at home now and are planning a couple of staycation excursions over the next few days. There will be one final post to bring everything to a conclusion, probably on Sunday.

Until next time



No comments:

Post a Comment